Monday, January 9, 2012

It's Time...

to get serious about running again that is.  I have definitely struggled to get back into running since the marathon but I have been seriously loving weight training so much more lately.  With the Mercer Island half on my calendar in 11 weeks I know I need to at least try to run a few times a week.  At first I was planning on following  a plan, specifically Hal Hidgon's Intermediate plan. BUT...I have never run 5 days a week, even while marathon training and I'm not about to start.  So, in an effort to try and maintain and improve my strength training and hopefully PR in the half marathon my goals for the next 11 weeks are:

source
1. THREE runs a week: I'm going to aim for 3 runs and attempt to get 4 per week when the mood strikes.  One run will be a long run and one will be a speed workout of sorts.  I'm going to try and follow Hal's plan only to reference the interval or tempo workouts for the week.

2. FOUR strength training sessions a week: This shouldn't be a problem since I've been used to doing 5 for the past few months but finding the balance between running and strength might be a tad difficult.

3. ONE yoga/stretch session a week:  I feel like I'm probably setting myself up for failure on this one since I didn't do it during marathon training but maybe you all can tell me how great yoga is for runners and it will help me do it. 

I'm also attempting to finish the LiveFit program and I have three weeks to go so my running might suffer a little until then, but I'm confident I can fit in the runs necessary to perform well in March.

So to bring back Say It Do It from my marathon training days here is what I'm planning on doing this week:

Week of January 9-5, 2012:
Monday: Leg day! I'm cutting and pasting from the 2 leg days on LiveFit so I'm just doing 1 leg day
Tuesday: Back, Arms, Abs + 3 mile run
Wednesday: Chest, Shoulders, Abs + 6 mile run with friend
Thursday: Back, Biceps, Abs + sprints
Friday: Shoulder, Triceps, Calves
Saturday: REST
Sunday: REST or Yoga (I should probably try to do this the first week of my new goals right?)

And I laughed so hard at this photo I had to share...you're welcome!
source

Question: How many days a week do you run when training for a race?

4 comments:

Leslee said...

Hi Lar! I've not heard of Hal Higdon, plan to go check it out. We run 4 days a week with one long run a week. I do believe in Yoga for Runner's, it's a great stretch! My problem is I don't do it often enough...

Good luck on your training!

Xaarlin said...

Good luck with your training! It's really good you are doing all of the strength training!

I work out 5-6 days a week. Mostly running, but I'll cycle for at least 30 minutes the days I don't run (due to injury fatigue etc)

Coy Martinez said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That's hilarious about the dogs!

Good ol' Hal Higdon! He's been my mentor I've never met :)

Ricole said...

I spent all of 2011 plagued by mini running injuries so I am trying to train for the Seattle rock n roll full on 3 days a week. We'll see how it turns out and if it's enough to get to the finish line!