Sunday, October 28, 2012

Recipe: Pumpkin Coconut Flour Pancakes + FLYbyNight Ride

It's no secret I've been on a pumpkin kick lately.  Two things added to my pumpkin repertoire:

1. Paleo OMG's Pumpkin Cream Chicken Casserole - pretty pumpkiny but isn't super flavorful.  I would probably double all the spices next time and maybe add something green like spinach or kale.
2. Pumpkin coconut pancakes!

I woke up this morning with time on my hands and decided to tackle pancakes.  For some reason I NEVER have luck with pancakes (I think I'm too impatient to wait to flip them), but I decided to experiment this morning with paleo inspired panckes.  I did some google searching for "coconut flour pancakes" and got the jist of what I needed and then came up with a recipe on my own based on what I had.

The recipe makes 4 decent sized pancakes and if you were sharing these and had a side of bacon it would be a good breakfast for two...I ate them all myself :)
Slathered in sunflower seed butter, shredded coconut and a drizzle of agave!

Pumpkin Coconut Flour Pancakes

Ingredients:
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin
1/4 coconut spread (oil or butter work too)
1/4 - 1/2 coconut milk
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
toppings - optional but highly recommended - sunflower seed butter, shredded coconut, drizzle of agave syrup

Directions:
1. Combine everything starting with 1/4 cup of coconut milk and mix.  Add coconut milk until it gets to desired pancake consistency.
2. Heat coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium heat
3. Add large dollop (I used 1/3 cup) to heated oil
4. WAIT...be patient...my pancakes took almost 4 minutes before flipping
5. FLIP and cook on other side for 2-3 minutes or until done
6. Top with whatever your little heart desires and you should probably serve it with bacon which I didn't have :( :(

Yummy! I made successful pancakes and it wasn't that scary, maybe I'll try this again sometime.
This stuff is GOOD!
In other news Flywheel Seattle is having a special "Flybynight" ride on Tuesday, October 30 at 7pm.  My regular flygirls (Sarah and Stacie) are trying to spread the Flywheel love and encouraging everyone to come out and try it, your first ride is free.  You can sign up here and then reserve THIS class once reservations open up (hopefully very very soon!)

No comments: