Monday, April 11, 2011

I can smell a sub 2-hour half marathon!

I can’t tell you why, but I’ve always had this vision, dream, goal in my head that running a half marathon in less than 2 hours would be an amazing accomplishment. And considering my first half was run in 2 hours, 25 minutes I think it would be.  Of course that was over 3 years ago and I’m definitely in better shape and becoming a faster runner as the years go by.  So, how fast would I have to run to get a sub 2 hour time you ask? About a 9:05 average minute per mile…to me…that is FAST!  

However, on Saturday I ran 8 miles and was pleasantly surprised at how fast I did it in and wasn’t insanely tired afterward.  Here are the boring but since I have a Garmin that tracks my every move I might as well share them details:

Mile 1 - 9:20
Mile 2 - 9:15
Mile 3 - 9:20
Mile 4 - 9:29
Mile 5 - 8:59
Mile 6 - 9:30
Mile 7 - 9:08
Mile 8 - 9:01

I think I need to learn to run a little more consistently.  Maybe start out a bit slower and ramp up to the 9:00 range and try to stay there.

It felt good to push myself a little to see what I can do and seeing the time at the end of the run makes me believe I just might be able to run that sub 2.  Of course, I have no plans of doing that in my upcoming Kirkland half marathon but I will make it a goal for the Seattle Rock and Roll half in June.  It is a course I know (this will be my third year running it), it is a relatively flat course…all that combined with awesome crowd participation makes me run faster!

In other weekend news a member of my running group, Team Flying V, got married this weekend!  EY is the inspiration behind Kath, Stace and I running the Chicago Marathon and on Saturday she married the love of her life, Tommy, in the most beautiful wedding venue I’ve ever seen at the Arctic Club in downtown Seattle.  Beautiful bride, great friends, yummy food, and free wine made the evening unforgettable.

The MOST gorgeous wedding venue ever!

Team Flying V in formation!

On Sunday I took a much needed rest day and re-hydrated (from my run of course…not the multiple glasses of wine consumed the night before) with Gatorade and coconut water.   I’m not sure why it has taken me this long to discover coconut water, but it is delicious, low cal and provides much needed hydration quickly!

QUESTION: Do you have a go-to hydration drink of choice?  I usually drink Gatorade, but coconut water is becoming a new fave plus I love the taste of Vitamin Water Revive!

2 comments:

Mrs. V said...

Amazing shot of the venue Lar!
So...your pace looks perfect for your 8-miler. You are definitely on a good track to save the speed for the end. Conserve energy in the front half and when everyone else is fading....you hit the turbo boosters (or something like that)!
When I run my favorite drink is HEED by Hammer Nutrition, but indeed Coconut water....can't go wrong!

Marathon Lar said...

Thanks for tips Erin...I'm sure I will picking your brain much more when marathon training comes up. What is your boston bib number BTW, I want to track you :).