Thursday, October 4, 2012

Three Things Thursday - NY Vacation Edition

Hey all!  I just got back from a wonderful long weekend with my whole family in upstate New York!  My mom's family all lives in upstate New York in the Capitol region and despite the distance we are still pretty close which I love.  Growing up we would go to NY every single summer for at least three weeks to hang out with cousins, aunts, uncles, my grandma and many other friends and family.  Some of my favorite childhood memories come from those visits and I love any chance I get to return to spend some time with my family there.  This trip was to celebrate the nuptials of my cousin and his fiancé!

1. WEDDING FUN!
I'm not sure if any of you have been to an East Coast wedding but they leave no detail unturned and go ALL OUT in terms of food and alcohol.  By East Coast standards my cousin had a "small" wedding with only 120 guests but we were lavished with amazing appetizers, full bar, seated dinner and a huge dessert spread.  Needless to say, I didn't follow any of my post cleansing rules for this meal and didn't regret one bite or drink (which included many signature pomegranate margaritas!)
The happy couple!
Cutest ring bearer ever Brady!
Cousins, Aunt, Mom and me!
2. MEMORIES!
Of course any trip to NY is full of memories but this time my mom, dad, brother and I took a drive to our old house where I spent the first two years of my life.  Of course I don't remember any of it but it was fun to see and hear my parents talk about where my friends lived, what window was my bedroom and how the neighborhood has changed since they lived there.  They claim the house is still the same color as when they lived there...over 28 years ago!


3. FALL LEAVES!
Apparently upstate New York is FAMOUS for fall leaves which I never knew since we never visit in the fall.  We kept hearing commercials about fall foliage tours, train rides etc, so we figured we better go see what all the fuss was about.  Coming from an area that is mostly green and blue seeing all the changing trees was really fun.  We weren't there during peak color time but we still got some amazing views.
My attempt at a panoramic shot with my phone...make sure you click on this to see the bigger version...gorgeous!


Evidently at some point all that green will be bright red and orange!
Question: Have you ever been to upstate New York? Anywhere fun on the East Coast?

No comments: