Thursday, October 25, 2012

Holy Hill Sprints Treadmill Workout


Firstly, let me apologize for lack of posting and real content lately on this blog.  I’m not really sure where I’m going with it right now since I’m not running much or training for anything but I’m working on it! I really do love to blog and hear from all my readers so I want to continue this journey…just stick with me while I work out my blog “stuff”.

With that in mind, moving on to a killer treadmill workout I did yesterday.  So, remember how I’m actually attempting to run like twice a week in preparation for the Mustache Dash 5K coming up in November?   I decided to make good on my claims to do one interval/sprinting type workout a week and found this killer workout from Blonde Ponytail that I pinned way back when and just “re-discovered” this week.   I should probably just do every single workout she recommends because then I might look like her…right?
She always looks so strong! source
I struggled all day with finding any motivation to run and even sat on my couch after work for almost an hour before literally jumping up, putting on my running clothes and going to my teeny tiny condo gym to bust out this workout. I knew if I thought about driving to my gym I would just talk myself out of it.  I didn’t follow Blonde Ponytail’s workout exactly because 1) I didn’t have enough time for 6 miles and 2) I’m not as speedy as she is J.

My workout looked like this:

  • 1 mile warmup at 6.0 mph
  • 8 – 20 second tabata sprints at a 4.5 incline and 7.5 mph (each sprint is followed by 10 seconds rest on the side of the treadmill)
  • .5 mile recovery at 6.0 mph
  • 6 – 20 second tabata sprints at 4.5 incline and 7.5 mph
  • .5 mile recovery at 6.0 mph
  • 4 – 20 second tabata sprints at 4.5 inclined and 8.0 mph
  • .25 mile recovery at 6.0 mph
  • 2 – 20 second tabata sprints at 4.5 incline and 8.0 mph
  • .25 mile recovery at 6.0 mph

The whole run ended up covering about 4 miles and taking a little under 40 minutes.  I used the heart rate monitor on the treadmill and man my heart rate just went up and up and up the entire time, it was awesome!  When you first start the hill sprints you think “this isn’t that bad” but by the 2nd or 3rd sprint in the series your legs are burning and you find yourself really pushing to make it up that 20 second hill.

My legs were trembling for a few hours after...a sure sign of a good workout!

Needless to say I feel more than prepared to tabata sprint up the one hill in the Mustache Dash now J.

Speaking of using things on Pinterest I made this soba noodle bowl earlier this week and have been eating it all week since...delicious and vegan.  It took a bit of time and a lot of pots and pans to prepare but it was worth having lunch and dinner available in the fridge for the rest of the week.
source
I used green lentils because they were cheaper and orange cauliflower since it was fun looking and the same price as the regular stuff...yumm!

Question: Do you use Pinterest and actually make or do things from it?

No comments: