Now, this is NOT some juice only, no eating, or eating weird food type of cleanse. It is actually a whole foods cleanse put out originally by Whole Living magazine in the beginning of this year. I like it because you can actually eat as much as you want, but are just restricted by what types of foods you can eat. The plan is broken up into 3 weeks with a bonus 4th week, which I will NOT be doing :). My good friend, Rachel, asked me to join her so we could help keep each other accountable, eat meals together, and complain about how we really really want a piece of bread, a cup of coffee, or some chocolate!
|NOPE...can't have this :)|
Anyways, here is what the 3 weeks looks like and how I plan to try and stay full and not craving everything I can't eat :)
WEEK 1 - Fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, oils
- Basically NO dairy, meat, grains, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, etc
- I expect to eat a TON of salads
- Smoothies for breakfast
- Sweet potatoes, avocados, olive oil and seeds to help fill me up
- Roasted veggies maybe a soup for dinners
- Planning on making sunflower seed butter my best friend :)
I imagine this week will be the hardest since there is really no protein in any of these foods and I'm a protein LOVER! I'm going to keep it easy on the exercise this week since I won't be fueled properly for it and just try to relax a little...something I'm not usually very good at.
WEEK 2 - Adding seafood and legumes
- Can now eat beans, tofu, and all seafood...this should make things easier!
- I love salmon so I'm certain I'll be eating lots of this and shrimp!
- Hopefully my cravings for caffeine will be gone so I can enjoy the cleanse a little more, wishful thinking?
- I have some social engagements during this week/weekend so that should make it interesting to figure out how to navigate that (I want to try and stick to this plan 100% as much as humanly possible without becoming a hermit for 21 days!)
WEEK 3 - Adding gluten free grains and EGGS!
- Add grains like quinoa and rice. Still no pasta and bread :(.
- My regular breakfast of eggs is back!!
- The possibilities are endless now and I should be able to make pretty substantial meals at this point.
- Kind of hoping I maintain this sort of eating most of the time after this is all over
Do I expect to never have caffeine, sugar or alcohol after these 3 weeks? HECK NO! Although, I would like to try and not drink coffee for as long as possible but I plan on enjoying a nice big glass of wine to celebrate the end of this whole thing :).
I'm starting on Tuesday...wish me luck and stay tuned to see if I survive!
Question: Any of you ever done any sort of "cleanse" or eating challenge?