Monday, January 26, 2015

A Restaurant, a Run, and a Museum

My mom visited me for the long weekend last week! It was so great to see her, I do miss getting to spend weekends with my parents every month or so…adding a whole day of flying sure makes that more difficult.  We had a great 4 days filled with sightseeing, eating, shopping and walking…lots of walking.  I thought to showcase a bit of what DC has to offer plus recap my visit from Mom I would do a restaurant, a run, and a museum review:
metro selfie!

The Restaurant

I picked up a groupon for a 3 course Italian dinner with a glass of wine for a Dupont Circle Italian joint, i Ricci to use when my momma came so we did that first thing when she flew in Friday.  I will say right off the bat there is no way this place is worth the price without the groupon.  The caprese salad appetizer is usually $17…for tomatoes and mozzarella!  However, the groupon was a great deal and we enjoyed a delicious dinner!  Plus it’s always fun to treat mom when she treats me all the time.

The appetizers: Caprese salad and polenta with balsamic mushrooms.  I need to find a recipe for the mushrooms...they were the best part!



Jumbo lump crab cakes with toasted fennel, basil puree & roasted corn salsa for dinner for me!
It was a fun experience trying a new restaurant in a new city with my mom and we left full and satisfied! Would I go back here and pay regular prices...probably not, but maybe a glass of wine and happy hour would be fun!

The Run


While my mom slept in Saturday I got up for my group run with my Fleet Feet group.  The weather was MUCH more bearable compared to last week’s long run and we enjoyed a balmy ;) 30 degrees for the whole run.  I kept with a fun group of ladies as we ran south through Rock Creek Park to meet Abe and turn around.  Our couch, Jo, likes to give “extra credit” so we ran the Lincoln stairs and then had to do again to get a photo…it was worth the photo!  The 8 miles felt pretty effortless and I’m starting to feel like a strong runner again. 
#seenonmyrun
Up the Lincoln stairs to the theme of Rocky!
I then added another 6 miles of walking with my mom around the monuments and visiting Lincoln again to make it a 15+ mile day…hello tired legs for a couple days!
Trying to teach mom how to pose for a selfie

The Museum


Okay, nerd alert…I’m kind of obsessed with Abraham Lincoln. It all started with the book Killing Lincoln, then the movie Lincoln and just learning about his presidency fascinated me…especially since I moved here.  Did you know during his presidency people just walked into the White House, lined up and told him their problems? Could you imagine that in this day and age? So when I mentioned wanting to see Ford's Theater and museum to my mom and she was all in I was pumped! We upgraded our tickets (about $7.50 a piece) and got the headsets so we could learn even more.  While the museum does go into great detail on Lincoln’s assignation and hunt for all the conspirators it also goes into detail on his presidency…all the way from choosing his cabinet, all the generals he went through and the Civil War. 
Theater box, gun used to kill Lincoln, and Petersen House where he died

FUN FACT: Lincoln was the president who instituted Thanksgiving Day as a national holiday.
After the museum you get to go into Ford's Theater and see the box where he was shot…you can still see plays there, but not from that box!
The inside of the box where Lincoln was shot

You then travel over to the Petersen House, otherwise known as the house where Lincoln died, which is directly across the street from Ford’s Theater.  Even though he was shot pretty much point blank in the back of the head he actually lived through the night and didn’t die until early the next morning which kind of fascinated me considering the level of medical care available during that time. 
I would 100% recommend this stop if you ever visit DC, especially if you are looking for something a bit smaller and less all encompassing than the Smithsonian's.

Hope you enjoyed a little piece of DC along with me! Have a great week.

No comments: