Friday, December 7, 2012

So...That Running Thing!

I'm sure many of you are wondering why I haven't been posting about running or much of anything lately?  I know you are terribly worried about my lack of running so I'm here to tell you that you can stop worrying because I signed up for another race and I will be running again...starting next week :).
Sonia - my pacer to a sub 2 hour half last year!
My awesome used to be Seattle friend but left me for miserable Minnesota winters friend, Sonia, has decided to run a marathon on her 35th birthday and I'm going to join her.  Don't get excited, I'm NOT running a marathon, no way...still not ready for that training commitment again.  But I'm going to run the half marathon!

source
The 2013 Sedona Marathon is on February 2 and I can't wait!  I've never been to Sedona or even Arizona so I'm excited to run somewhere totally new to me.  The course is a an out and back so I'll get to run with Sonia for the first 6ish miles before saying goodbye and making my way back to the Start/Finish.  The course looks hilly and it is at nearly 4500 feet elevation, but that's ok...cause this race isn't about me...it's about supporting my friend running a freakin marathon!

enlarge to see elevation
So...maybe I should start running again so I don't have to walk the whole race?  I'm confident that I can go out and run 6 miles today no problem, but I would like to enjoy this race and not feel like death during or after so I'm going to get my act together.

Here is my "8 week half marathon plan so I can at least keep up with Sonia for the first half of the race" plan:
  • Run 3x a week
  • Incorporate one treadmill hill or interval workout per week
  • One long run per week
  • One fun 3-5 miler per week
Hopefully this won't be too hard, but I have to fit it in with my latest fitness obsession...boot camp at Riley Athletics.  I won a free month awhile back at a Road Runner Adventure Run and have cashed it in for the month of December.  The classes are about 30 minutes and incorporate lots of circuit work including strength and plyometric type moves.  I think it is actually a great compliment to running, but I just have to figure out how to do them both for December at least. 

And so you can all hold me accountable here is what next week will "hopefully" look like:

Week of December 10th - 8 weeks till Sedona Half Marathon!
Monday - Boot camp
Tuesday - Treadmill hill workout - gotta find one to do!
Wednesday - Easy run plus boot camp
Thursday - Boot camp
Friday - REST
Saturday - Boot camp
Sunday - 6-7 mile long run

I get to run here!! source

If any of my Seattle friends want to help hold me accountable come run with me!

Question: Have you ever run a race at elevation? Did you notice a difference?  Sonia and I do plan on getting there the day before the race so hopefully we have time to acclimatize!

No comments: